Qualified Birth Injury Lawyer in New Orleans and Metairie, LA
According to research published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, birth injury or fetal trauma occurs in approximately 2% of all births. Major fetal trauma was especially rare, but when birth injuries occur, they can be devastating. Birth injury can take place when a baby is being delivered, during pregnancy, labor, or during prenatal or neonatal care. In some cases, birth injuries are caused by medical malpractice or due to negligent medical care. These injuries may be more likely if the baby has large birth weight, if there is a prolonged or difficult labor, or abnormal birthing.
Kinds of Birth Injuries
Stanford Children’s Health notes some of the most common kinds of birth injuries. While these injuries are rare, and while few are them result in long-term damage, new parents should be aware of the risks so that they can spot these injuries if their newborn displays symptoms. Here’s a list of birth injuries:
- Swelling of scalp and bleeding under the cranium. Some babies suffer bruising as they travel through the birth canal. In most cases, this bleeding or swelling resolves itself in hours to a few weeks after the baby is born. These birth injuries are rarely life-threatening.
- Forceps bruising. Forceps can leave bruises on the baby’s head. Forceful use of forceps can lead to more serious injuries, including neck injuries and spinal cord damage. Sometimes this can also lead to facial paralysis. In extreme cases the baby may need surgery.
- Brachial palsy. If there is difficulty delivering the baby’s shoulder, the nerves affecting the arms and hands can get damaged. In extreme cases, the baby could lose the ability to move or flex his or her arm. In milder cases, the injury can heal on its own.
- Nerve damage. Nerve damage can occur during a difficult delivery or due to improper use of forceps. Facial nerves, arm nerves, and other nerves can be damaged.
- Fractures. Collarbone fractures are the most common kind of fracture babies suffer during delivery.
The Bowling Christiansen Law Firm is a team of birth injury lawyers in New Orleans and Metairie, LA who work closely with medical experts to evaluate each case. We put our resources into ensuring that you get the counsel and care you deserve. We specialize in medical malpractice litigation. If your baby had suffered an injury, contact us today.
Common Forms of Medical Negligence in Birth Injury Cases
We like to think that the doctors delivering our babies are qualified to do so. Yet, the mistakes they make during delivery can have long-term effects on a child’s quality of life. There are many ways that medical malpractice can lead to injuries. Here are a few:
- Improper techniques. If a doctor isn’t properly trained in using forceps or uses these tools improperly, injuries can take place.
- Pressure on the umbilical cord or exposure to drugs. Errors in prescriptions or improper delivery techniques can cause a newborn to be denied oxygen. Oxygen deprivation in newborns is very serious. Babies may experience neurologic damage or cerebral palsy. In some cases, the neurological damage may not be immediately apparent. It can take years before learning disabilities or disorders related to oxygen deprivation after birth become apparent. If you suspect that your baby was deprived of oxygen during birth, contact a birth lawyer and make sure your baby gets proper testing and treatment.
- Improper care of the infant after birth. Proper hydration, and in some cases, breathing support may be required for newborns. Medical professionals have a duty of care to evaluate newborns and provide them with the medical care they need. Failure to do so can result in birth injuries.
- Failure to perform a cesarean section. The decision to perform a cesarean section can make a huge difference in the health outcome of a baby. Cesarean sections can prevent oxygen deprivation during birth and reduce the risk of birth injuries.
The Bowling Christiansen Law Firm can handle a range of complex medical malpractice cases pertaining to birth injuries. If your baby suffered an injury during delivery, you may be entitled to receive compensation for your baby’s ongoing medical care and pain and suffering. We work closely with our clients in New Orleans and Metairie, LA. When you call us, you’ll speak to a qualified birth injury lawyer equipped to handle your case.