A hospital has been fined after an unnamed surgeon reportedly left a blue towel inside of one of his or her patients. The patient, who also remains unnamed, stated that he lost 43 pounds and had trouble with his bowels because of the mistakes made during his surgical procedures. The hospital has been fined $86,000. Surgical errors can cost thousands of dollars each year in Louisiana.
According to the report, the patient came back to the hospital feeling as though he were dying. He complained of low energy and stamina as well as abdominal problems. The doctors at the hospital ordered x-rays to be done, after which the patient was told that he had a mass inside of his abdomen. At that time, the patient grew terrified that he had cancer.
One legal analyst studied the situation and feels that the hospital could be looking at a much greater loss than the $86,000 that it has already been ordered to pay in fines. He states that the hospital staff was grossly negligent and caused pain and suffering, emotional distress and psychological injury because of their mistake. The hospital claims that no staff member recalls the towel being placed inside of the patient but admits that it must have been overlooked.
Injury during surgical procedures can be a serious issue in Louisiana. For those who have suffered due to surgical errors, there is hope for compensation. A medical malpractice attorney can help a client decide whether or not to file a lawsuit against the hospital or staff that made the mistake.
Source: buzz.ie, "Californian hospital leave towel inside of patient's stomach", Jessica Marie Ruxton, April 23, 2017